Project Title: Improving Access, Availability and Utilization of Comprehensive HIV & TB services in Uganda
Overview of the Project
The USAID/PATH Advocacy for Better Health aims at improving the quality, accessibility, and availability of health services in Uganda. This is done by fostering citizen’s demand and enhancing the capacity of CSOs to advocate for improved responsiveness and accountability by decision-makers and service providers. NAFOPHANU contributes to the project goal and result areas hinged on HIV, TB and OVC programming. Working with partners at local and national levels, stock out issues are brought to the attention of duty bearers for action and replication of best practices. The project has an overarching goal and three objectives;
Project Goal: Improved quality, accessibility and availability of health and social services
The overall purpose of the project is to improve access, availability and utilization of HIV/AIDS & TB services by fostering the capacity of citizens to demand for increased responsiveness and accountability by duty bearers.
- Strengthen the capacity of PLHIV to demand for improved HIV/TB service delivery by 2018.
- Increase PLHIV engagement with duty bearers to influence policy change, implementation and formulation by 2018.
- Build the institutional capacity of NAFOPHANU to manage the ABH project.
Mentoring and coaching of PLHIV on rights and responsibilities
- Community dialogues
- Conducting radio talk shows
- Supporting District Forums to implement advocacy action plans
- Planning Meeting
- Duty Bearer’s Dialogues
- Public Platforms with duty bearers, stake holders and the community
- Follow up meetings on commitments made by the duty bearers.
- Supporting District based Linkage Facilitators to Monitor HIV & TB Service Delivery
- Conducting finding visits to selected districts to beef up evidence on HIV/TB services delivery and engage relevant government bodies
- Regional Consortium of Advocates for Access to Treatment (CAAT) meetings
- National level CAAT meetings
- Quarterly national advocacy meetings between NAFOPHANU, MOH and NMS
- Participate in review of health sector budgets
- Participate in TB coalition meetings
- Working with UAC to develop HIV stigma and discrimination policy
Advocacy is ongoing at National level to address issues across the country. Particular activities are also carried out at district level in the regions stated below:
- Eastern Alpine Region: Mbale, Sironko, Kapchorwa, Bukwo, Pallisa, Budaka, Bududa, Kumi
- Eastern Busoga Region: Kamuli, Kaliro, Iganga, Mayuge, Bugiri, Butaleja, Namutumba, Busia
- Central Region: Kalangala, Kayunga, Luwero, Nakasongora, Mityana, Mpigi, Sembabule, Kyenjojo
- Western Region: Bushenyi, Ibanda, Isingiro, Kabale, Kamwenge, Kanungu, Kiruhura, Kisoro, Rukungiri, Ntungamo, Kasese